GAM Supports Gifted Students through...
• The GAMbit, which is Missouri's premier publication on gifted education
• Annual State Conference on Gifted Education
• A legislative consultant that fights for gifted education in Jefferson City, Missouri. We advocate through legislation that works for full funding for gifted programs, advanced placement, and the improvement of gifted education in Missouri
• GAM's website, www.mogam.org, which provides the latest information on gifted education in Missouri
• Regional conferences and workshops for educators, parents, and students.
• Missouri Scholars Academy advocacy--GAM supported the founding and supports the ongoing development and funding of the Missouri Scholars Academy
• Advocating for and supporting state certification for teachers of the gifted (mandatory as of September 1995)
• Conducting the New Teachers Workshop for educators new to gifted education
• GAM Day at the Capitol event which allows gifted students to interact with their legislators.
• Close Partnership with the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for more than 25 years
• Maintaining membership in the National Association for Gifted Children and National Alliance of State Associations for the Gifted
• Providing educational scholarships to teachers new to gifted education
• Providing awards to recognize outstanding friends, parents and educators of the gifted.
2 Ways to Join
GAM has actively supported the needs of high-ability and high-potential learners in Missouri since 1980. Your membership adds power to our voice.
GAM has successfully advocated for:
• A full time Director of Gifted Education at the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education after the position was reduced to a part-time director.
• School reporting legislation that requires each school district to report annually to DESE regarding the programs or services being provided for gifted students within their district and the number of students being served.
• A state-wide Gifted Advisory Council with members who have experience with gifted programs to advise the State Board of Education regarding applicable rules and regulations, as well as other issues that relate to programs for gifted and talented students.
• Acceleration and Review policies for state approved gifted programs. Any district with an approved gifted education program must have a process that outlines the procedures and conditions under which parents or guardians may request a review of the decision that determined that their child did not qualify to receive services through the district's gifted education program. This bill also allows for the subject or whole grade acceleration of any student.
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS INCLUDE:
• Discount on registration for annual State Conference
• Legislative Updates on gifted legislation
• Member only events.
Lend your voice. Be an advocate. Connect with us.